International students who want to stay in Hungary for more than 90 consecutive days and who are not EU citizens are required to apply for a long-term student visa to stay in the country.
Student visas requirements for Hungary vary, therefore it’s important to enquire well in advance about the entry regulations which apply to your home country. To receive a student visa for Hungary, you must first have an offer from a Hungarian university. You can only apply for your student visa prior to your departure from the Hungarian Consulate or Embassy that has jurisdiction in your state or country of permanent residence. Processing a visa usually takes around one month, but could be longer so make sure you apply as early as possible to avoid any unnecessary complications.
Documents required for your student visa for Hungary are:
– Proof of having paid the tuition fee
– An acceptance letter from the university regarding your admission
– Passport valid at least 6 months beyond your date of entry
– Copy of the photograph page of your passport
– Passport photo no more than 6 months old
– Proof of health insurance
– Proof of address or housing in Hungary
– Proof of sufficient funds to cover living expenses in the form of bank assurance/statement
– Visa application form
3 stamped envelopes addressed to the applicant
When the consulates requires an appointment, you may need to scheduled it around 4 to 6 weeks in advance because appointment times are limited. After the appointment, the visa processing time usually takes an additional 1 to 4 weeks.
You will need to apply for your residence permit within 15 days of arrival in Hungary. This applies to both EU and non-EU citizens planning to stay in Hungary for longer than 90 days.
To apply for a residence permit, EU and EEA citizens need to submit the following documents:
Proof of payment of tuition fees
Approval document of the host university in Hungary
Proof of health insurance